Civil Protection teams respond to heavy rains and flooding in Caracas, Venezuela

Authorities deploy security and emergency teams after heavy rains affect several areas of Caracas and surrounding municipalities.


Venezuela activated its Civil Protection system on Saturday after heavy rains battered parts of Caracas and surrounding areas, prompting authorities to deploy security and emergency teams to vulnerable parts of the capital.

RELATED: Venezuelan Parliament Dismisses Venezuela-US Parliamentary Friendship Group Head

Acting President Delcy Rodríguez ordered the activation of the system in response to the effects of Tropical Wave No. 40, with the heaviest impact reported in Libertador municipality and areas including El Valle, La Vega, San Antonio, Coche and Altamira.

Police, traffic officials, Civil Protection personnel and Caracas firefighters were deployed to areas including Santa Mónica and Los Chaguaramos to clear roads, monitor conditions and respond to incidents caused by the rainfall.

The operation is intended to prevent traffic accidents, ease congestion caused by standing water and assist people affected by the adverse weather. Authorities said the National Risk Management System would maintain a round-the-clock presence during the emergency.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by teleSUR (@telesurtv)

Text Reads: Rainfall from Tropical Wave Number 40 obstructed roads in different areas of Caracas and disrupted traffic in several parts of the Venezuelan capital.

Rodríguez said she had instructed Vice President for Politics, Citizen Security and Peace Diosdado Cabello and Civil Protection chief Rear Adm. Oti Paituvi to activate the emergency system.

Regional and local authorities are coordinating the response, with officials monitoring vulnerable communities and families affected by material damage or disruptions to services.

Flooding reported

Videos posted by users on social media showed the Guaire River overflowing in the areas of El Valle, Los Símbolos and La Bandera. Damage was also reported in Los Cangilones, in the La Vega parish.

Rodríguez said authorities were maintaining continuous monitoring through situation rooms and specialized state institutions across the country. She said the government was prepared to respond to incidents arising during the rainy season.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Policía Nacional Bolivariana (@pnbvzla)

Text Reads: STAY CAREFUL!
Security agencies deployed in Caracas 🚨
Due to heavy rainfall in the capital, officers from the Bolivarian National Police (PNB), the Land Transit Division, Civil Protection, Caracas Fire Department, and the National Risk Management System remain on permanent alert and deployed along the main roads and priority areas of the city. They are responding promptly and immediately to emergencies.
Remember the 24-hour emergency lines:
VEN 911
Civil Protection: 0800-PCIVIL-1 (0800-7248451)

Caracas Mayor Carmen Meléndez said the city’s brigades had been placed on special alert following intense rainfall on Saturday night. She said teams were monitoring each parish in real time and working on road clearance, vegetation and waterways.

Authorities urged residents to remain calm, take preventive measures in areas at risk and rely exclusively on official bulletins for verified weather information.

Monitoring of the weather situation will continue nationwide as emergency and risk-management agencies respond to the effects of the storm.


From teleSUR English via This RSS Feed.