Barclays protest

A number of journalists have been denied remote access to a judge’s hearing on whether he will sentence a group of anti-genocide activists as terrorists. The ‘Barclays 5‘ activists will appear at Preston Crown Court tomorrow to find out whether the state will punish them as terrorists despite them being convicted only of criminal damage after spray painting a Barclays bank branch.

‘Manifestly excessive’ against Barclays 5

The judge in the case, Robert Altham, has previously been found by an appeals court to impose “manifestly excessive” sentences.

In a joint statement activist groups said:

Several journalists have been denied remote access to report on the hearing, where Judge Altham will decide whether to sentence the Barclays spray painters as terrorists.

As is normal protocol, journalists are usually allowed to join a hearing via an online link. However, Judge Altham, who is known for giving protestors “manifestly excessive” sentences, has denied this right for this hearing.

Tomorrow, on Friday 21st August, Judge Altham will decide whether to add a “terrorist connection” to criminal damage convictions, for five Palestine Action activists who damaged windows and sprayed red paint on Barclays branch in Burnley.

Neither the defendants, nor the jury, knew that the five could be sentenced as terrorists, if convicted of criminal damage.

The idea to sentence them as terrorists only came after a dangerous precedent was set by Judge Johnson, who sentenced four activists as terrorists for destroying Israeli quadcopter drones.

Johnson’s ruling was the first time in British history that protestors who were convicted of criminal damage, were sentenced as terrorists. His ruling opened the floodgates for potentially hundreds of others to face a similar manipulated court process, to ensure terrorism sentences.

Journalists have been told that if they want to report on the hearing, they should attend in person and they “may” be given access.

Clearly, the court wants to crack down on those who act against genocide, behind closed doors. Groups have called on supporters to mobilise outside Preston Crown Court from 10AM.

They say we shouldn’t allow them to do this in silence.

As the statement notes, four ‘Filton 24’ activists received terror sentences despite being found guilty only of criminal damage to an Israeli weapons factory. The anti-justice move was part of the Starmer regime’s war on anti-genocide speech and protest. The Barclays case makes clear that new PM Andy Burnham – who kept the appalling Shabana Mahmood as home secretary – intends to be no less active in collaborating in Israel’s genocide in Gaza.

Featured image via the Canary

By Skwawkbox


From Canary via This RSS Feed.