
Trump and Carney discussed ‘ongoing negotiations’ aimed at averting tariffs on about US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods.
On late Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump said that the 50 percent tariffs on some Canadian goods scheduled to take effect Wednesday were paused for three days.
RELATED:
Climate Change Has Increased Canada’s Extreme Wildfire Risk Fivefold
Canada and the United States had reached a deal, subject to the finalization of documents, Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney later said in a statement that substantial progress has been made, “although there is important work still to be done.”
Carney said the two sides had intensive discussions over the past several weeks, adding that work will continue to “deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers, and families.”
Reporter: if new tariffs are imposed on Canada on Wednesday, do you have a plan to help businesses? Are you also considering reciprocal tariffs?
Carney: Yes, I have plans. I have plans for any situation that may arise. pic.twitter.com/ea5AnPy3J9
— Scott Robertson (@sarobertson_) August 17, 2026
Earlier, a brief statement issued by the Canadian Prime Minister’s Office confirmed that the two leaders made a phone call on Tuesday evening and discussed “ongoing negotiations” aimed at averting U.S. tariffs on about 20 billion U.S. dollars’ worth of Canadian goods.
Dominic LeBlanc, Canada’s minister responsible for Canada-U.S. trade, also held follow-up talks with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick in a bid to narrow the differences between the two sides.
Carney previously described the last-minute tariff negotiations with the U.S. as intense and delicate. Trump signed proclamations on July 20, imposing an additional 50 percent tariff on certain Canadian goods, accusing Canada of discriminating against U.S. commerce.
teleSUR/ JF
Source: Xinhua
From teleSUR English via This RSS Feed.

