Since US Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Rodney Scott on Monday announced a temporary pause on construction in Big Bend National Park for an “on-the-ground evaluation,” conservationists have called for CBP to permanently halt the Trump administration’s widely opposed plans for southwest Texas.

“We’ve been watching the permanent destruction of a great American national park unfold in real time,” said Laiken Jordahl, national public lands advocate at the Center for Biological Diversity, in a statement.

The center joined Friends of the Ruidosa Church and a local river guide and landowner on Monday in asking a federal judge to stop border barrier and road construction in the region until the court rules on their lawsuit challenging a related waiver of various laws issued by the Trump administration.

“Even with Customs and Border Protection pumping the brakes, the contractors could resume bulldozing deeper into the national park, causing irreversible damage to the wildest place in Texas,” Jordahl warned. “We’re hopeful the judge will stop this destruction until there’s a ruling on the merits of our case.”

CPB previously ditched plans for a 30-foot wall in the area, but crews recently started work on a new road, barriers intended to stop cars from crossing over from Mexico, and other infrastructure as part of President Donald Trump’s intense anti-immigrant agenda. Conservationists are concerned about negative impacts on not only the national park but also nearby Amistad National Recreation Area and Big Bend Ranch State Park.

The border construction in the region has been met with sweeping opposition, including from both Democratic and Republican elected officials. GOP Texas Gov. Greg Abbott suggested Monday that his weekend conversation with Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin led to the pause. He said the department leader assured him there would be “no construction of any type of barrier at Big Bend National Park,” with federal agents instead relying on “other tools” to prevent any border crossings.

The public outcry is working. Keep up the pressure until they fully abandon the plan to wreck Big Bend for no reason other than to make contractors money.Law enforcement, conservationists, Democrats, Republicans, Texans all agree: leave Big Bend alone.

[image or embed]
— Congressman Greg Casar (@repcasar.bsky.social) August 17, 2026 at 6:58 PM

Tiernan Sittenfeld, president and CEO for the National Parks Conservation Association, framed the pause as proof that public pressure works, saying: “The people have spoken, and they do not want the Trump administration to bulldoze America’s national parks for border infrastructure. This pause on construction comes following hundreds of thousands of Americans bravely raising their voices to save Big Bend National Park.”

“Unfortunately, the federal contractors’ bulldozers have already inflicted tremendous damage to one of America’s most iconic national parks,” she noted. “Their heavy equipment has torn through miles of priceless wild landscape, wreaking havoc on sensitive wildlife and irreplaceable habitat.”

“We demand that Customs and Border Protection take accountability for the destruction that has occurred at the park and do better by the American people and by our national parks,” she added. “When Customs and Border Protection meets with West Texas communities, national park advocates, and expert national park staff, we urge the agency to commit to preventing any further harm to Big Bend and other protected landscapes.”

Big Bend National Park is pretty perfect “as is,” so keep raising your voices.

[image or embed]
— Senator Martin Heinrich (@heinrich.senate.gov) August 17, 2026 at 6:08 PM

Dave Cortez, director of the Sierra Club Lone Star Chapter, pledged Monday that “West Texas will not stand by while these irreplaceable landscapes remain at risk. This pause is a step in the right direction, but the threat has not passed.”

“While we call on Texans of all political stripes to continue to press Gov. Abbott to defend Big Bend, we need every American who cherishes our public lands to continue to contact their members of Congress and encourage them to abandon every plan that puts Big Bend in harm’s way,” Cortez continued.

His colleague who manages the national Sierra Club’s lands conservation campaign, Jackie Feinberg, also stressed that “Big Bend should never have been bulldozed for a destructive border project, and the Trump administration must make this pause permanent and repair the damage already done.”

“Anything less than a full withdrawal is unacceptable for the millions of Americans across the country who love and cherish our national parks and public lands,” she said. “The Sierra Club will keep fighting until this project is permanently rescinded. We call on Congress to act to defend Big Bend and ensure that our shared lands and waters nationwide are protected for generations to come.”


From Common Dreams via This RSS Feed.