The Syrian Interior Ministry confirmed on Tuesday the arrest of Hamza Abdullah Mohammed, a military leader of the Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist group in northern Syria. The operation was carried out by the Internal Security Forces and the General Directorate of Intelligence in the rural area of ​​Manbij, in the northern province of Aleppo.

RELATED:

DRC: 51 Killed by Attack by an Armed Group Linked to the Islamic State

The arrested man is identified by his alias Abu Jihad al-Muhajir. According to the official statement, the individual in question held the position of military commander-in-chief of the Levant province for the terrorist organization ISIS.

The Interior Ministry detailed that he previously served as deputy commander-in-chief under the pseudonym ‘Al Harithi’ and was responsible for the northwestern province of Idlib.

This new operation is part of ongoing security efforts to pursue ISIS cells and leaders, dismantle their networks, and prevent their attempts at reorganization, with the aim of thwarting threats to the stability of Syria and its citizens.

Syrian security forces, working with international partners, arrested Hamza Abdullah Mohammed, known as Abu Jihad al-Muhajir, in the Manbij countryside of Aleppo province, the Interior Ministry said.

The ministry identified him as ISIS’s former military commander for its "Syria… pic.twitter.com/xPQHJDRk9b

— Levant24 (@Levant_24_) August 18, 2026

Earlier this month, Syrian authorities announced the capture of nine members of an ISIS-affiliated cell in the southern province of Quneitra, bordering Israel. The leader of this group had operated in Damascus and the Badia Desert.

The Islamic State controlled large swathes of Syrian territory from 2014 until its defeat in the east of the country in 2019, following an offensive by the US-led international coalition. and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

Although attacks have reached historic lows since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime at the end of 2024, cells continue to carry out sporadic attacks in various regions, including the capital.

The United States launched a new wave of strikes across Iran for the 13th consecutive night. At the same time, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said it had targeted U.S. military assets in the region, claiming damage to American facilities and casualties among U.S.… pic.twitter.com/H27E3X9BCK

— teleSUR English (@telesurenglish) July 24, 2026


From teleSUR English via This RSS Feed.